Saturday, March 24, 2012

Shucking Oysters 1.0


Sick of having to pay through the nose for raw oysters in restaurants (generally $2.50 each though I know there are $1 nights), I decided to take the plunge and buy 3 Wellfleet oysters for under $4 at Whole Foods in Jamaica Plain. The fishmonger kindly showed me how to shuck and where the oyster knives where. I didn't get his name but he expects to hear back from me and tell him how it went.


And how did it go? I think I did a pretty good job for a first attempt.
Honestly, this was the first time in a long time that I had a raw oyster and didn't get a shell fragment in my mouth. I'll probably want to chill them more next time. I'll almost certainly do at least 1/2 dozen next time and bother to break down an actual lemon to squeeze over everything. I rock.

By the way, shucked oysters are typically served on a bed of kosher or rock salt to keep them from rolling around and spilling their delicious juices everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment