Saturday, March 31, 2012

Beef Stew with Bean Paste (BRW)

  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubs
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons dark sesame oil
  • 1 large potato, peeled and diced (I realized that all my potatoes had indeed gone bad.)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped (So I used extra carrots. Later, I've realized that the dish might have had better texture if the potato had been there. Oh well, it would probably be awesome to use boneless chicken thighs in here as Bittman suggests substituting.)
  • 2 long fresh red chiles, 2 small fresh chiles, or hot red pepper flakes to taste (Not sure why I kept leaving out chiles on my grocery list.)
  • 2 tablespoons go chu jang or dark miso, or to taste (I looked for the things myself at that Korean supermarket on Harvard Ave in Allston. Next time maybe I'll just ask the people who work there. Used some dark Miso from Whole Foods.)
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds for garnish (Damn, I did have sesame seeds on hand but just started eating anyway.)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped scallion for garnish (Don't do garnishes apparently.)

Mise en place.


Carrots and onion sauteed in sesame oil. Potatoes probably would have released starches to thicken the sauce, but I didn't have any.


On some leftover brown rice from that Chickpea and Eggplant dish. I bought the smallest jar of kimchee because I didn't want to but TOO much, but I used a third of the jar here.
I'd make this again some day sure. With actual fresh chiles, potatoes, and chicken thighs.

No comments:

Post a Comment