Saturday, March 17, 2012

Cornflake-Chocolate-Chip-Marshmallow Cookies (MMB)

Redoing the cookie featured in the last photo of this blog's maiden entry, hopefully executed better than last time. I know people enjoy crispy cookies, but I also know that these cookies should look like this:


So on with the show then. However, before we get to the main event, first we'll have to explore the component I have to bake first:

cornflake crunch
MAKES ABOUT 360 G (4 CUPS)
  • 170 g cornflakes (1/2 [12-ounce] box [5 cups])
  • 40 g milk powder (1/2 cup) [No need to drive yourself nuts looking for this. Even the Stop and Shop in Jackson Square has this. Much cheaper than Whole Foods or Harvest Co-op if I buy that big ass bag I saw.]
  • 40 g sugar (3 tablespoons)
  • 4 g kosher salt (1 teaspoon) [I don't think I've yet mentioned that kosher salt and "table salt" have different sodium contents and structure. Don't substitute one for another.]
  • 130 g butter, melted (9 tablespoons)
Use the good stuff please when it comes to that last ingredient and baking Christina Tosi's recipes. I do.




Mise en place.


Christina Tosi says, "Put some in a plastic bag and take it on the go as the best snack ever", but it's her Milk Crunch (I'll come to this in a future entry when I bake her Blueberry and Cream cookies for the third time. Favorite cookie ever!) that makes me weak in the knees with desire. However, I admit it's quite good and the amount made that doesn't make it into the cookie I snack on liberally until it's inevitably gone.

cornflake-chocolate-chip-marshmallow cookies
MAKES 15 TO 20 COOKIES
  • 225 g butter, at room temperature (16 tablespoons [2 sticks])
  • 250 g granulated sugar (1 1/4 cups)
  • 150 g light brown sugar (1/4 cup tightly packed)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 g vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon)
  • 240 g flour (1 1/2 cups) [A discourse on the subject of flour to follow this ingredients list.]
  • 2 g baking powder (1/2 teaspoon)
  • 1.5 g baking soda (1/4 teaspoon)
  • 5 g kosher salt (1 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 3/4 recipe Cornflake Crunch (270 g [3 cups])
  • 125 g mini chocolate chips (1/4 cups) [This and the mini marshmallows below are important to use to get a little bit of each in every bite.]
  • 65 g mini marshmallows (1 1/4 cups) [Briefly imagining myself making marshmallows from scratch someday. It's a fairly reasonable process for a home cook, but... Who knows.)


Recently I developed a strong guilt about eating white flour. I look at some coworkers' lunches and all the stuff I used to feel okay eating every day (The rules go out the window when I occasionally indulge my guilty pleasures: Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC...) and all I see are GIGANTIC ZEROES. Oh Michael Pollan I love you and all, but now I feel bad about all sorts of things.
I may just have to break down and buy another bag of white flour after I saw the first batch come out of the oven.


Butter and sugar measured out by weight with my trusty Cuisineart digital scale I bought at TJ Maxx in Downtown Crossing a few months back. Also they are in my stand mixer's bowl for the 10-minute creaming process. Don't even bother with anything less; sorry, Elise V.


The result of 10 minutes in a powerful machine plus a free-range egg and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredient on low just until they come together. Tosi strongly urges that you don't walk away at this juncture. She says it does not take any longer than a minute, but from my experience it's more like 15 seconds.
A cookie is not a place for gluten-development, folks.


Cornflakes! Marshmallows! Chocolate Chips! Raw cookie dough!
A younger Christina Tosi wouldn't have bothered with the whole baking thing. Her grandmothers didn't restrict the dough eating until the day she really overdid it according to legend.


Oh please oh please I hope you turn out right this time...


One hour chilldown in the fridge before baking or they won't retain their shape while baking. Maybe they won't anyway. Blargh.


Cookies spaced far apart enough for spreading.


Temperature right at 375 degree F. For the moment


Is this the second or third batch? I guess it doesn't really matter since I failed on both.


Oh, the temperature climbed to 400 degrees. That's lovely... Not.


Pulled it back to 360 and the baking time from 18 minutes to 15 minutes.


Was this round a moderate success? Oh let me go and eat one since they're probably done cooling...

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid white flour might be a must when you're baking. Maybe try adding a little wheat flour to mitigate your guilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. but it was whole wheat PASTRY flour? there's no relieving guilt from Michael Pollan.

    ReplyDelete