Bitter Tea Soak and Tea Jelly
- 475 g (2 1/4 C) water
- 8 Lipton black tea bags
- 350 g (1 3/4 C) sugar
- 50 g (1/4 C) instant Lipton unsweetened tea powder [This took me a little bit of hunting and I eventually managed to find this Porter Square Shaw's. They only had the decaffeinated unsweetened instant tea, but I can live with that. However, I think the measurement by weight is grossly inaccurate. Perhaps later I'll go into why typically it's better to bake by weight rather than volume.]
- 10 g (1/2 t) pectin NH (easily obtained online) [Perhaps if you're willing to bake beyond a hobby level, but I used grocery store dry pectin. There's a possibility I will choose to actually buy pectin NH some day since it is sort of available on Amazon unlike something else I will mention in this entry.]
- 20 g (1 1/2 T) lemon juice
Doubled the amount of ingredients this time for the tea soak since:
a) I wanted to actually have enough to make the tea jelly this time
b) Hey I might as well have some left over to not just skip the soak since there isn't any!
In transferring this from container to container I spilled enough to warrant throwing four kitchen rags into the laundry pile I'm doing tomorrow... But progress!
Tea jelly mise en place
Almond Tea Crunch (Couldn't take a proper photo of any of this)
- 50 g (1/4 C) instant Lipton lemon iced tea powder [Whoa just now realizing that this calls for a slightly different thing than the Tea Jelly ingredient. My bad; this probably wasn't a fatal mistake.]
- 15 g (2 T) slivered almonds
- 55 g (1/4 C) almond butter
- 40 g (1/2 C) feuilletine [The item that IS NOT available on Amazon. I was considering ordering this from a gourmet shop based in NYC along with a moderate amount of pectin NH but I can't exactly justify paying 50% extra because FedEx ground is my cheapest shipping option. A cursory Google search turned up an idea on a forum that Chinese Love Letter cookies (Available where else but a Chinese market and also more commonly known as egg roll cookies) is an acceptable substitute for something Tosi considers "impossible to replicate." ]
- 30 g (3 T) confectioner's sugar
- 2 g (1/2 t) kosher salt
Part 2 and 3 to come in the subsequent days. Additionally, an entry on Short Ribs and Cinnamon (HCE) tomorrow.