Saturday, March 10, 2012

RAMEN!

An event I'm planning for 4/14. Contact me for more details:


Ok, you lucky dogs, I'm again pulling out the culinary stops and finally throwing my own ramen party.
Ramen, if you aren't aware, doesn't need to be as basic as the stuff you can buy down the street for 40 cents a packet (Perhaps even less!) and the truly great stuff is mysteriously elusive in the Boston area (infinitely less so in NYC sadly). You can go to Wagamama and endure their price-gouging and less than authentic fare. Or you can go to Sapporo Ramen in the Porter Square Galleria for reasonably priced, authentic, filling stuff (DO NOT order extra ramen the first time you eat there. I suffered for days.). Their one failing is that they use a chicken-based broth rather than a pork-based broth. For the record, this is hugely lame.

Let me slavishly amend this situation while following Momofuku giant David Chang's recipe where roasted pork bones simmer for 6 to 7 hours, I'm basically confit-ing pork belly in the oven for 2 hours, and braising pork shoulder for 6 hours. Among other things, geesh!, but I guarantee it'll be a mind fuck.

Guests are encouraged to bring nibbles, Japanese/Korean alcoholic beverages (Soju is pretty icky but I guess traditional. They serve it in magnificent slushy form at the Momofuku Noodle Bar, but I'm not exactly going to attempt that one.), and desserts (I guess frozen mochi might do it, but more ambitious, homemade suggestions are welcome). Please come equipped with your own Asian soup bowl, soup spoon, and chopsticks (The kind they use in Pho places). I'm sure you can get this at any major Asian Supermarket for about $5.

Also there's no way I'm making more than 20 servings of this stuff so please RSVP early and mention any guests you're bringing.

No comments:

Post a Comment