Saturday, June 2, 2012

Beef Stroganoff (ATK)

from Cooks Illustrated, March & April 2010
  • 1 1/4 pounds sirloin steak tips, trimmed of excess fat and cut lengthwise (with grain) into 4 equal pieces
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1 pound white mushrooms, wiped clean and quartered
  • 2 teaspoons hot water
  • 1 tablespoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
  • Table salt
  • 2 teaspoons tomato paste
  • 4 teaspoons unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon white wine or dry vermouth [Failed to notice that the vermouth we had on hand was sweet]
  • 1 1/2 cups beef broth [Tried an ATK-approved stock concentrate Better than Bouillon here]
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves or dill

Mise en place.


I made an error in cutting the tips. I think I followed the directions the first time I made this dish back when I was beginning to cook.
I remember making Mark Bittman's take on it and thinking that ATK did the better job. But their job is to do the best rendition of a dish anyway.


Browned steak tips. They probably would've been more tender if I hadn't cut them. Perhaps this is where I realized my mistake.


Twenty raw ounces of white mushrooms.


Microwaved until their volume has increased in half. This makes them much easier to brown later on since their moisture has already been released.


Otherwise this step would take about 20 minutes.


Adding in everything but the sour cream and extra tablespoon of vermouth. Simmer until reduced slightly.


Yum. Much has happened between the first time I made this dish and today. And I hope I'll have as much to say for myself the next time.

I'm spending increasingly more time thinking about a career in cooking. I finally sent my resume and cover letter to ATK. They promptly sent me a form letter the next morning to say that they are currently between open positions but will keep my resume on file. (Karen M says she didn't even get that much of a response when she applied)
Although I've been briefly in touch with both East Coast Grill's Jay Heard and Beacon Hill Bistro's Josh Lewin, nothing has materialized in the way of accepting my offer to do menial work for free in the kitchen. Starting with Russell House Tavern, I've begun leaving business cards at high-end restaurants near Harvard. With my work schedule, it'd be hard to get into any kitchen early enough to do something meaningful.
I'm scared nothing will come of this. I'm not sure what to do if this doesn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment