Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pipian Verde de Pollo (Chicken and Green Pumpkin Seed Sauce)

So I've worshiped Rick Bayless ever since I had his food for the first time when I visited Chicago in April. It was going to be a long time before I finally start reading Authentic Mexican, but lo and behold, I discover he's released an iPad app and those take much less commitment to absorb.
Anyway, here is my first go at his cuisine. Even though it has none of what I probably loved so dearly in Illinois: smoke.

from the Rick Bayless iPad app
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram [Immediately I know that I haven't bought marjoram yet out of the forty something other things I own already]
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3 bay leaves
  • Salt (divided use)
  • 6 (about 3 3/4 pounds total) bone-in chicken breast halves
  • 1 1/4 cup (about 6 ounces) hulled untoasted pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 small white onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
  • 8 ounces (5 to 6 medium) tomatillos, husked rinsed and roughly chopped
  • 2 large romaine lettuce leaves, torn into large pieces
  • Fresh hot green chiles to taste (roughly 2 serranos or 1 jalapeno), stemmed, seeded [You pussy] if you wish and roughly chopped
  • Leaves from a small sprig of fresh epazote, plus an additional sprig for garnish [Can anyone tell me where to find fresh epazote in Boston?]
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus a few sprigs for garnish
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
  • 12 ounces (about 2 medium chayotes, peeled if you wish, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 10 ounces (about 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Mise en place.


Raw pepitas.


The directions led me to believe that the seeds would all pop like popcorn and turn round in shape. I stopped when they totally looked toasted.


Marjoram, thyme, gray salt (thanks Michael Chiarello), and bay leaves. All and all the essence used to poach:


The bone-in, skin-on chicken breast for 10 minutes. They should also rest in the broth off-heat for ten more minutes... Or however long it takes me to get the endless amount of prep done.


Poached chicken.


Vegetables and sauce mised.


A 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro is no light task. I used half of a bunch of this herb.


Before. A truly rather complex sauce


After.


Cook sauce until darkened and then add 2 cups of broth.
One cup had already been used in the blender since blenders don't work without some liquid.


I steamed both the chayote and zucchini squashes.


Everything goes back in the sauce to reheat for 5 minutes.


The finished dish was quite good, but it didn't send me to heaven like the presumably chipotle-infused dishes at the Frontera Grill and the airport.
I plan on cooking through all the dishes appropriate to my situation (all main courses and can kick around the fridge for a little while) until I get sick of Mexican food or more likely just wind up cooking all five of them. There'll be an entry on Slow-Cooked Achiote Pork shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment