Friday, June 8, 2012

Tagliatelle Carbonara

Ferran Adria is probably the king of Modernist Cooking even though his restaurant elBulli closed on July 30, 2011. Last fall Phaidon published his book on the elBulli family meal, which is the meal that the staff prep and serve themselves. Not a lot of modernist cooking in this though there are a few foams.

from The Family Meal by Ferran Adria
  • Smoked bacon, 4 ounces
  • Olive oil, 1 1/2 tablespoon (Now I realize I forgot this but perhaps next time)
  • Whipping cream, 35% fat, 1 cup
  • Water, 2 1/2 cups
  • Salt, 1 teaspoon
  • Egg tagliatelle, 7 oz (I had an open box of ziti on hand)
  • Parmesan cheese, finely grated, 1/2 cup
  • Eggs yolks, 2

Mise en place. Except for I guess the olive oil. Does this dish really need olive oil?


Slowly frying up the bacon over low heat.


Pour in most of the cream and simmer for 20 minutes.


Whisk 1/8 of the cream and the egg yolks. Add in to the pasta after the bacon cream sauce.


Almost seems like a gratuitous amount of cheese but it works. Surely not the best dish for my health, but I think it'll stick in my rotation as long as I have house- cured and smoked bacon in the house. And particularly another cup of heavy cream in the fridge.
I haven't made too many pasta dishes since I guess they don't make it onto my planning list since I should already have all the ingredients on hand but maybe I should be more in the habit of doing so. Ferran Adria made it easy here since each recipe is for 2, 6, 20, or 75 people (the number of the elBulli staff).

No comments:

Post a Comment