Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Peanut Soup, Senegalese Style (HCEV)

  • 3/4 cup roasted and shelled peanuts
  • 2 tablespoons peanut or neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn
  • 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon peeled and minced ginger
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • Pinch cayenne or more or less to taste
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 cups vegetable stock or water [I had 3 cups of chicken stock that was about to go bad]
  • 2 (about 1 pound) sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into thick slices
  • 8 to 12 plum tomatoes, cored and halved (canned are fine; drain and reserve liquid for another use)
  • 1/2 pound collards or kale, washed thoroughly and cut into wide ribbons
  • 1/4 cup chunky peanut butter

Figured it was worth shelling the peanuts myself instead of buying canned ones. I apologize for the Yankees logo on the bag.


Roughly chopped in my mini food processor.


Mise en place.


Onion, ginger, and garlic sauteed until stuff.


Add 2/3's of the peanuts. The rest will be employed as garnish.
The seasonings also come into play here.


3 cups chicken broth I had open in the fridge and 3 cups water.


Tomato, peanut butter, and kale filled the pot to the very brim. Ooh, Mark Bittman, we're playing a risky business with this medium saucepan you said was sufficient.


Filling, warm, colorful. I doubt I'll come back to it again but I don't regret making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment