Monday, May 7, 2012

Grasshopper Pie (MMB)

Well, I'll get to the ingredients list for Grasshopper later in this entry, but its first ingredient is a Brownie Pie (also MMB) made through step 8. Upon looking it up I realize I totally messed up on my own in pouring the brownie batter before the Mint Cheesecake (MMB as well. Yes, these are all individual components of a Grasshopper Pie; somehow I realized that didn't necessarily make it challenging).
As I was saying, the first ingredient in Grasshopper Pie is a...

Brownie Pie (MMB)
  • 3/4 recipe Graham Crust [See my entry on Compost Cookies. Phenomenal stuff but I wouldn't sit around and snack on it by itself.] (255 g [1 1/2 cups])
  • 125 g 72% chocolate (4 1/2 ounces) [I made a strong effort to stick close to that percentage. I used some Valrhona (the world's best) Trader Joe's has begun to carry and some leftover Ghiradelli from again failing to execute a flourless chocolate cake from a Top Chef Cookbook. Oh the days before I owned a stand mixer.]
  • 85 g butter (6 tablespoons)
  • 2 eggs
  • 150 g sugar (3/4 cup)
  • 40 g flour (1/4 cup)
  • 25 g cocoa powder, preferably Valrhona (3 tablespoons) [I used Ghiradelli.]
  • 2 g kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon)
  • 110 g heavy cream (1/2 cup)

Mise en place.


A lot of chocolate and butter to microwave until melted. Screw the double-boiler, Christina Tosi says, and just nuke the stuff. Set it for increments of 15-30 seconds and stir each time. I remember the first time I tried this I was melting white chocolate for just a minute and it burned. Still used it.


The melted chocolate and butter. And the eggs and sugar whisked until fluffy and pale yellow to the ribbon state.


Paddled together until homogenous.


Followed by the dry ingredients. Oh how beautiful and dark you are.


Mmm, additional Graham Crust.


Oops, I guess I shouldn't have scraped the batter in first. Oh well.

Mint Cheesecake (MMB)
  • 60 g white chocolate (2 ounces)
  • 20 g grapeseed oil (2 tablespoons)
  • 75 g cream cheese
  • 20 g confectioner's sugar (2 tablespoons)
  • 2 g peppermint extract (1/2 teaspoon)
  • 1 g kosher salt (1/4 teaspoon)
  • 2 drops green food coloring

Mise en place.

Mint Glaze (MMB)
  • 30 g white chocolate (1 ounce)
  • 6 g grapeseed oil (2 teaspoons)
  • 0.5 g peppermint extract (scant 1/8 teaspoon) [I think I was a lot closer to 1/4 teaspoon.]
  • 1 drop food coloring
My camera clearly didn't like to photograph green very well. I don't think the list of the ingredients for this component was compelling enough to garner a picture.
And finally:

Grasshopper Pie (MMB)
  • 1 recipe Brownie Pie, prepared through step 8
  • 1 recipe Mint Cheesecake Filling
  • 20 g mini chocolate chips (2 tablespoons)
  • 25 g mini marshmallows (1/2 cup)
  • 1 recipe Mint Glaze

Prepped to bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.


Baked and allowed to cool at room temperature. Or until it was late enough that I had to wrap it up and throw it in the fridge instead.


"Now the pie needs to be Jackson-Pollocked with mint glaze."


Who would bake a Brownie Pie when they could have this? Cake would have been marbled from top to bottom if I had poured the right things in the right order. Still awesome and less of a shock to the system than Crack Pie.
I guess the green color is more vivid because I turned on macro on my camera?

No comments:

Post a Comment