Sunday, May 13, 2012

Braised Tofu with Peas in Curried Coconut Broth (HCEV)

"This dish features a classic Indian techniques for making a deep-flavored 'gravy.'"--Mark Bittman
Indeed, I found the technique similar to what is according to reviewers on Amazon is the best restaurant-style Indian cookbook The Curry Secret by Kris Dillon. Maybe I would find the technique in Pushpa Bhargarva's From Mom with Love, the most highly rated authentic Indian cookbook, but I've yet to cook out of it. Read it cover-to-cover, but I think when it comes to Indian food I only like it the non-authentic way.
  • 3 large onions, quartered
  • One 28- or 35- ounce can tomatoes with their liquid
  • 2 tablespoons garam masala or curry powder, or to taste [I suggest adding cayenne to taste as well. Though now that I read one of the variations I realized I could've used the dried red chiles I have around but never use]
  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds firm to extra firm tofu
  • 1 1/2 cups peas (frozen are fine; defrost in cold water and drain)
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, either made from scratch or canned (about 1 can plus a little water)
  • Chopped fresh cilantro leaves for garnish [Maybe when I own a cilantro plant again]
The recipe as requested by Will R.:
  1. Combine the onions and tomatoes in a food processor and purée; depending on the size of your machine, you may have to do this in two batches. Put the oil in a deep skillet or broad saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the onion-tomato mixture, along with some salt and pepper and the spice mixture, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it thins and becomes saucelike, about 10 minutes.
  2. Add the tofu and peas and cook for about 5 minutes, until the tofu swells slightly and the peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the seasoning, garnish with the cilantro over rice.

Mise en place. Minus the two onions I had Dan L. buy. I bought me red onion (I didn't specify) which I groaned over a bit but the dish didn't fail.


Had already processed the onions and tomatoes a bit before remembering to take a photograph.


Not perfectly smooth, but I assumed it was good enough.


Simmering them until they become thin and sauce-like. I don't think this really happened.
I also neglected the fact that I should have added the garam masala in at the beginning.


Adding the tofu, peas, and coconut milk and cook for five minutes.


On top of brown basmati rice. Both Dan L and my roommate Adam W said it was quite spicy. But that's how I like to do things here.

No comments:

Post a Comment