Saturday, November 23, 2013

Chipotle Quinoa with Corn and Black Beans and Shrimp (FM)

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 (or more) canned chiles, minced, with some of their adobo sauce
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried [I used Mexican oregano since I have it and this is a Mexican dish]
  • 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1 cup cooked or canned black beans, drained
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels (frozen are fine)
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock, beer, [I had an odd bottle of Sam Adams lying around.] or water
  • Lime wedges [eh]
  • 8 ounces peeled shrimp, chopped
Mise en place.

Cook onion and garlic over medium heat until onion is soft.

Add chipotles and adobo and continue cooking for 1 minute.

I interpreted 2 or more as potentially double.  I found five chiles in the can and added all of them.  Held back on the adobo until the final seasoning, but I'm pretty sure I used most of it.

Add quinoa, salt, and pepper.  Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes.

Add beans, corn, beer, and salt and pepper and bring to a boil.  Stir, cover, and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.


When quinoa is almost tender, add shrimp and cover covered for an additional 5 minutes.

Quinoa is another grain I've had lying around forever, unused.  There was no clear expiration date on the package, but I had told my friends I'd  be trying to pass it off to that I had had it for years.  I mean, there's nothing wrong with how it looks or smells so it should be fine?
A very nice dish,  I tried to achieve a heat level that was quite nearly too spicy to eat, which is generally how I like spicy food.  Mission accomplished.



No comments:

Post a Comment