Saturday, February 23, 2013

Salt Cod with Potatoes and Olives (EP)

  • 1 pound salt cod
  • 2-3 medium red potatoes (1 pound total)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces (2 cups) [Um, really?]
  • 6 scallions, trimmed (leaving some green) and minced (about 3/4 cup)
  • 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (2 tablespoons)
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry or dry Madeira
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup mixed olives (kalamata, green, oil-cured, etc.), rinsed in cold water, pitted if desired
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
I soaked the salt cod or bacalao in just under a day in two changes of cold water.  I then blanched the fix in more clean water for 6 minutes before flaking and trying to pick through the fish.

Mise en place.

Simmering the potatoes until tender.

Add everything but the olives and parsley and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.

The dish was interesting enough and I dig this leaner turn from the heavy French food I've generally encountered so far.  This is my first time working with salt cod though I didn't but the nice kind.  I quickly noticed that I had indeed missed a few bones and it bugs me.  I still have some in the fridge at the moment though I ran out of the potatoes (which are laid on the bottom of the dish and the fish mixture spooned on top) so I think I might just toss the remainder.
I had some curly parsley this time around (I bought this for the sherry chicken dish I recently made since they didn't have my preferred flat parsley), but while avoiding bones, the herb proved quite distracting.

No comments:

Post a Comment