Sunday, January 5, 2014

Kohlrabi Stir-Fry with Chicken or Pork (BRW)

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs or pork shoulder, thinly slice or cut into small chunks [I would've done pork for a change of pace, but it didn't make much sense to ask for when all I saw was bone-in packages.]
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 1 pound kohlrabi, peeled and chopped [I was excited about using a vegetable I've never worked with before, but Whole Foods didn't have it in.  I used jicama, but sunchokes, daikon, or even big chunks of cabbage will work.  I still have worked with sunchokes, but I was blanking on substitutions at the store.]
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 cup sliced scallions
Mise en place.
By the way, jicama is one of the most ridiculously hard things to peel ever.  So damn fibrous, I thought my peeler was giving out on me, but no, it's the jicama's fault.

The directions say to stir constantly over medium-high heat until it starts to brown, but I gave up on that at some point.  I let it sit for a bit and then stirred and got modest browning.
It was supposed to take 3-5 minutes, but it took way longer to even cook away the moisture the chicken released.

Add ginger and continue to stir-fry until aromatic.

Add jicama and 1/4 cup of water.  Cook and stir until it softens a bit and the water evaporates.  Off heat, stir in soy sauce, lemon juice, and scallions.

The 1/4 cup of water evaporated almost immediately for me so I was silly and added an additional 1/2 cup of water.  Oh well.  By the time this had cooked off the chicken had become a hot mess and shredded, but the dish didn't suffer any for it.
Perfectly serviceable stir-fry though I might be reluctant to approach peeling jicama unless I had to.

No comments:

Post a Comment