Saturday, October 12, 2013

Stefan's Goulash

from Top Chef: The Quickfire Cookbook
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 pound veal shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1 parsnip, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 small head cabbage, cored and chopped
  • 2 strips bacon, chopped
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • Leaves from 2 sprigs thyme
  • Leaves from 1 sprig rosemart
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt and pepper
  • Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnishing [Nope]
 
Mise en place.  I doubled all the ingredients except for the olive oil where I used 3 tablespoons of instead of 4 to sautee the veal.
I've cooked this "goulash" (I've never really seen another recipe for it like this one before.  It typically only really contains beef and paprika.) 5 or 6 times but this is the first time I've done so while writing this blog.  I love the flavors and cooking the dish as is doesn't quite seem worth the time.

 
Brown the veal.

 
Dump in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for about 1 hour until the veal is tender,

Voila.  One pot meal I return to on a fairly regular basis.
Started cooking this in my early days and it's the one dish I've cooked regularly from this cookbook.  Simple.  Good

No comments:

Post a Comment