Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Skillet Hoppin' John (FM)

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 ounces slab bacon or smoked ham, cubed [Used pancetta.  It's not really either of those.]
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 2 red bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice, preferably chilled
  • 2 cups cooked or canned black-eyed peas, drained, liquid reserved [Hmm, didn't think canned black-eyed pea liquid is really worth it]
  • Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Mise en place.

Heat oil over medium high heat then add meat and cook until browned.  Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat and lower heat to medium.

Add onions, peppers, and garlic and cook until soft and browned.  I added the thyme here as well since I was using dried herb.  If I was using fresh thyme, I would add it after this process was done.

Add rice gradually and then the peas with the liquid.  Cook until heated through and adjust the seasoning.

I've heard of this dish several times before, but I haven't tried it until now.  Dish didn't really wow me, but some quick googling leads me to concur that the pork and dried beans are usually cooked together.  Makes sense when the header says this is a stir-fried version of this Southern staple which is actually traditionally served on New Year's Day though I polished this off yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment