Monday, January 27, 2014

Pork Stew with Green Beans and Oregano (FM)

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 8 ounces boneless pork shoulder, cut into large chunks
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 3 shallots or 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried [I used 2 tablespoons dried.  Oops, but it was fine.  Two tablespoons since I was doubling the recipe due to the fact that it's allmost impossible to buy 8 ounces of pork shoulder.]
  • 2 cups white wine
  • 2 pounds green beans, roughly chopped
Mise en place.

Browning the pork.

Cook onions and garlic until nicely browned.

If using fresh oregano, add 1/2 of it here.  Since I was using dried, I put all of it in to realize moments later that I had added 3 times as much oregano as I should.  This somehow didn't result in an overly oregano-forward dish.

Return the pork to the pot.  Add the wine and enough water to half cover the meat.  Which doesn't make a lot of sense if technically you're only supposed to be using 8 ounces of pork.
Bring to a boil, deglaze, and simmer, covered, until the pork is nearly falling apart and the liquid is saucy.

Add green beans, raise heat to medium-high, and cook until the green beans are crisp-tender.  I had to season aggressively to taste.
Oh this is also where you'd add the remaining 1/2 of fresh oregano.

The dish didn't really hit it out of the park, but neither am I miserable about the fact that I have 6-8 servings of this to get through.  The sauce was flavorful enough even while being quite simple.
I didn't really weigh out the pork shoulder after trimming off the fat and bone, but I'm sure it was at least over a pound if not more.  However, there really wasn't room left for any more green beans in the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment