Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pasta with Shell Beans and Red Onion (FM)

  • Salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 large red onions, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • Black pepper
  • 3 cups fresh shell beans (about 3 pounds in their pods), or use frozen
  • 1 cup white win, stock, or water
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried [I used dried]
  • 8 ounces any pasta, preferably whole wheat
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Mise en place.

Two notes:
1) Obviously I went with frozen baby lima beans.  How unfabulous...
2) My bota box started trickling when I was grabbing the white wine.  So my bright idea was to tilt it and then keep pouring, thinking I'll just drink the rest of this 3-month old box.  There was probably 3 cups of wine left in it total.
After glugging down 4 ounces, I thought WTF and tossed the rest.  Oh well, it's probably a good idea to start anew next time.

Add onions and garlic to oil that's been sitting over medium heat.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until everything begins to soften.

Add shell beans, wine, and thyme.  Partially cover and simmer until beans are tender and onions are starting to dissolve.

Toss pasta with beans and onions.  Sprinkle with Parmesan and toss again.

Another great dish, but seriously, I need to start cooking with meat again.  Including the dish I'll be cooking tonight, this will make five vegetarian dishes in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment