Sunday, December 15, 2013

Stir-Fried Bok Choy and Daikon with Crisp Tofu (FM)

  • 1 head bok choy (about 1 1/2 pounds)
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 block firm tofu (about 1 pound), cut into 1/4 inch slices and patted dry
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 1 or 2 fresh hot chiles (like jalapeno or Thai), seeded and minced
  • 8 ounces daikon radish, cut into 1/4 inch coins
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
  • Black pepper
Mise en place.  Bok choy is separated with the stems cut into 1-inch pieces and the leaves cut into wide ribbons.

Pan-frying the tofu.

Cook the onion, garlic, ginger, and chile for about 1 minute over medium-high heat.

Add daikon and bok choy stems until they begin to lose their crunch.

Add leaves and about 1/2 cup water.  Cook until stems and radish are both fully tender.  Daikon will generally turn translucent at this point.

Return tofu to pan, stir in soy sauce, and sprinkle with black pepper.

Very straightforwardly Asian, one of those occasional dishes that remind me of the food I ate growing up.  Because I think soy sauce, garlic, and ginger was probably the main backbone of those stir-fries.  I really enjoy bok choy but don't cook it much.  I'm not sure I've ever dealt with it before.
The first head wilted dramatically after 48 hours in the fridge.  Even though the plastic-wrapped packages of baby bokchok I eventually used were labelled with a sell-by date of 12/21.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the dish.  I used a habanero chile even though it's a little out of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment