Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pork Vindaloo (Cook's Illustrated)

Soups and Stews 2010
  • 1 (3 1/2-pound) boneless Boston butt roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • Table salt and ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3 medium onions, chopped coarse (about 5 cups)
  • 9 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 3 tablespoons)
  • 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
If you can't find a Boston butt roast, you'll have to trim down a 5-pound picnic roast.

After wrestling with the roast for about 1 hour.  Thank god I had a boning knife.  My chef's knife was clearly not up to the job.

Bone, skin, and excess fat.  I guess I could've rendered down the fat, but I didn't want to bother.

Mise en place.

Browning the pork.

Cook the onions until softened.

Add garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add flour and spices and stir until onions are evenly coated.  Gradually add in the broth.

Add all the rest back in (except for the cilantro and I didn't haven't any on hand) and throw in the oven for 2 hours.


I realize that I don't really know what I'm looking for in a vindaloo.  It's practically the only dish I order when I go to an Indian restaurant, but it's widely variable.  I've never see it with pork, and I didn't necessarily find the choice of meat appealing.  Oh well, maybe someday I'll find the elusive ultimate version.

No comments:

Post a Comment