Sunday, December 16, 2012

Braised Duck with Apples and Calvados (HCE)

  • 1 whole duck, 4 to 5 pounds, excess fat removed and cut into 8 serving pieces
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
  • 2 pounds purple-topped turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 pound Granny Smith apples
  • 1/4 cup Calvados
  • Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
Mise en place.  Calvados is a French apple brandy.

Browning duck.  This marks the first time I've ever worked with duck.

The thyme, bay leaf, garlic, Calvados, and some water are added to the duck and the pot is roasted for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. 


Then the apples and turnips are added and the dish is basted every 10 minutes until the duck is done.

Even though Granny Smiths are the sturdiest apples (in terms of cooking), they disintegrated over the period of time that the dish was cooked.  I figure they should have spent less time in the oven than the turnips, but the dish was well-flavored.  I brought it to a holiday party and everyone who sampled the dish thought it was excellent.  Even though I couldn't spur each one of them to add a bit of the sauce to boost the effect.

I tried to save the duck fat but failed.  Rather than grabbing a mason jar, I chose to use a random recycled Goya jar.  I heard a pop as I poured the fat in and apparently that was the sound of the bottom the shirring off.  Oh well.  I will know better next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment