Sunday, November 11, 2012

Soy-Braised Lamb Shanks

  • Grapeseed or other neutral oil
  • 4 whole (2-pound) lamb shanks, trimmed and patted dry
  • 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
  • 2 medium shallots, sliced
  • 13 garlic cloves, sliced
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 Asian pears, cored and cut into 2-inch chunks
  • 1 bunch scallions, green parts only
  • 2 lemongrass stalks, smashed and thinly sliced
  • 5-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
  • 1 fresh long red (finger) chile, stemmed, seeds, and sliced [Neglected to remember this one]
  • 4 whole star anise
  • 1 1/4 cups semidry Gewurztraminer or Riesling [I used a random white wine I had already opened rather than going out to buy the right kind of 2 servings]
  • 1 cup champagne vinegar [They only had normal white wine vinegar at Stop & Shop]
  • 3/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup honey
Cut the portions of lamb shank in half since I was only cooking for 2.  I would have had to brown them in batches clearly if I had purchased more.  They barely fit.

Mise en place.

Cooking the onions, garlic, and shallots until golden brown and tender.

Dump the braising liquid in, bring to a boil, and then throw in the oven for about 3 1/2 hours.


Reducing the resulting liquid.

Resulting dish alongside parmesan encrusted summer squash from the same cookbook.  The squash is not really complicated enough to warrant the usual blog treatment but it was tasty.  The suggested side for the dish was a Jalapeno and Green Apple Duo but I'm not going to approach a side dish for 8 while cooking for two.
The braised meat was nice enough for braised meat, but I wish the flavors had been a bit more in my face.  The chile probably would have helped.

Ori said he liked watching me cook with such determination.




No comments:

Post a Comment