Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Very Full Tart

Another one from Yotam Ottolenghi, but let's start off with:

Flaky Piecrust (HCEV)
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into about 8 pieces
  • 3 tablespoons ice water, plus more if necessary
Mise.  New bag of unbleached all-purpose flour in play.

Butter, flour, and salt.

Processed until it resembles cornmeal.

Knead with ice water until it forms a cohesive mass.

No expert yet at rolling out crusts.

I may also not have made enough pie crust for the following recipe, but I did my best pushing it up the sides of my first spring-form cake pan (I couldn't find a springform tart pan).

Draped with parchment paper and filled with a bag of dried black beans I had lying around.

Which didn't seem to be enough weight.  When I poured the black beans out into a jar for next time, I added some black-eyed peas I had open.  I thought it was weird that the crust was so golden already.


After uncovering the crust and seeing how burnt it was, I realized I had forgotten to turn the heat down in the over after roasting vegetables (see below).  Oh well.

A Very Full Tart
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • about 6 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium eggplant, cut into 2-inch dice
  • salt and black pepper
  • 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
  • 1 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch dice
  • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 11 oz pie crust dough
  • 8 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
  • 1/3 cup ricotta
  • 4 1/4 oz feta
  • 7 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 1 cup heavy cream
Mise en place.  Including that ball of dough.

Vegetables prepped for their trip through the oven.

I forgot to take a picture of when I added the sweet potato but they went in after the eggplant had been in their for 12 minutes, followed by the zucchini for another 10-12 minutes

Peppers peeled and torn into strips.

Onions and bay leaves cooked over medium until dark brown.

Veggies ready to go.

The onions go in the bottom of the tart.  Followed by the roasted vegetables.  Guess I forgot the peppers had been roasted as well.

Topped by the cheese and tomatoes.  And the peppers.  The eggs and cream are whisked together and poured over.  Thyme is divided into two layers.  The tart is returned to the oven and baked until set.


Trista said she thought the tart must have been very expensive to make, but there isn't really anything pricey about it.  Maybe the cheeses lended themselves to a richness that could have come with a bigger pricetag.
Maybe I would have wanted something more complicated than thyme going on, but it was still a rather good dish.  Pretty looking for my first springform tart.  The varying textures and flavors of the roasted veggies were great and the tomatoes added brightness and acidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment