Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pasta with Tomatoes, Tuna, and Capers (FM)

  • Salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • one 28- or 35- ounce can tomatoes, chopped, include their juice
  • 8 ounces any pasta, preferably whole wheat
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • One 6-ounce can tuna packed in olive oil [Eh, I was trying to use up once of of normal water-packed tuna]
  • 2 tablespoons capers
  • 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
  • Black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
Mise en place.

Cook onions in oil over medium-high heat until soft.



Add tomatoes and their juice and cook until tomatoes break down and the mixture becomes saucy.
I was using a new brand of chopped tomatoes called Pomi, but it was pretty weird.  There was relatively little tomato in the box and a whole lot of juice.  I probably wouldn't use this again.  I think I bought it because I couldn't find another type of chopped tomatoes that didn't already have spice in them.

Add pasta, wine, tuna with its oil (if I had used that kind of tuna), capers, and red chile flakes and cook and stir for another minutes.  Add a good amount of black pepper and the basil.

Very nice, straightforward, and almost entirely pantry-focused dish (if only I had some herbs growing).  The basil is necessary for a bit of freshness to the dish and everything is balanced without a sense of anything lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment