Sunday, August 11, 2013

Creamy Navy Bean and Squash Gratin with Bits of Sausage (FM)

  • 4 ounces Italian sausage, casings removed
  • 1/4 cup half-and-half or cream
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
  • 3 cups cooked or canned navy beans, drained
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1 small butternut squash, peeled and seeded
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock or water, or more as needed
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional [Didn't have any.  Moving soon so not buying any.]
Mise en place.

Cook sausage over medium-high heat but don't brown it too much.

Combine half-and-half, rosemary, beans, and sausage.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Layer squash, pour over water, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle over more salt and pepper.
Baked covered with foil for 45 minutes and without for another 45 minutes.

The dish was also quite good.  Unfortunately I managed to screw myself over by neglecting to wrap the dish and refrigerate it after cooking.  I wasn't done until 2 am so I guess some things miss my notice at that stage in the game.
Creamy, balanced, nutty...  Maybe I'll approach this dish again.

No comments:

Post a Comment