Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chicken Cacciatore with Portobellos and Sage (NBR)

  • 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), trimmed of excess skin and fat [Sadly, I used the boneless, skinless kind.]
  • Salt and ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 6 ounces (about 3 medium) portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean and cut into 3/4-inch dice
  • 4 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups dry red white [I used Chianti]
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 Parmesan cheese rind, about 4 by 2 inches (optional) [Nope]
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage leaves     
Mise en place.  Too bad I messed up and used boneless, skinless thighs instead.

Browning the chicken.

Brown the onions, mushrooms, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add flour and cook for about 1 minutes.  Add wine (and to be honest, I think the wine should have been reduced here a bit at first) and deglaze.  Add broth, tomatoes, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.  I accidentally added the sage here and cooked away all the flavor sadly.

Add the chicken back in and cook in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes.

This at all like the chicken cacciatore my parents sometimes got from Scola's in Dracut, MA.  It's a mighty different take than a marinara with red and green bell peppers and onions.  (Typically, they get chicken parm)
I clearly really messed up when it came to misreading the ingredients list.  Bones and skin of any animal will protect the meat from overcooking.  I wish the recipe directed to reduce the wine to avoid having the dish taste boozy.  And that I had remembered to put the sage in at the end rather than earlier.  And interesting dish.  Maybe I would try the variation for Chicken Cacciatore with White Wine and Tarragon at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment