Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ziti with Silky Cabbage, Oranges, and Chickpeas (Food Matters Cookbook)

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 fresh hot chile (like serrano or Thai), minced
  • 1 medium Savoy or other white cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and shredded
  • 2 oranges, 1 juiced and the other peeled and cut into segments or wheels [I supremed citrus for the first time today. Supreming citrus basically means cutting the fruit's flesh entirely away from the membrane.]
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 8 ounces ziti, preferably whole wheat
  • 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, drained
  • 1/2 cup grated ricotta salata cheese [Couldn't find this at any of the three stores I visited. I just used normal ricotta. Oh well.]
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 2 teaspoons dried

Mise en place. Nice bed of ice topping the partially defrosted chickpeas that I'll have to conend with.


Cooking garlic and chile over medium heat until they soften.


Add the cabbage and orange juice. Apparently the cabbage takes 1/2 hour to reach very soft.


Finished dish.
It was all right. Better it appeared over subsequent days. I wish the oranges I had were nicer and I could actually find ricotta salata.

No comments:

Post a Comment