Friday, April 13, 2012

Chicago Bars


I guess we'll kick of with a quick entry about all the bars I went to. I didn't really take photos of anything besides food (Though I could've taken many photos of incredible architecture everywhere or cute meerkats at the free Lincoln Park Zoo. I didn't actually eat at that McDonald's but it blew the city's two Apple stores out of the water.).

Anyway, Sunday Night (1)
  • Teresa M. and Curtis R. pick me up at the Travelodge at E Harrison and S Wabash. After hitting up Wiener Circle (more on this in a future post), we go to Piece. I told Teresa that I liked going to places that either did microbrews or eclectic/classic cocktails. They brew their own beer there and sure it was decent enough. Looking through my notes, clearly I hadn't cared enough to record which of the beers we had. I'm thinking there were only 2 available by pitcher and we went for the perhaps hoppier one since that's also one of my preferences for beer. However this was clearly a sports/frat bar. To give you better perspective, allow me to mention that they serve pizza (not deep-dish) here.
  • Teresa texting people to see if they want to hang out or if they're working at various bars. We get back news that Dan M. (who I have had some online contact with but have never met) is working at Owen & Engine. Teresa has never been there and through sheer kismet this was exactly my style.
I'm starting to think the whole bullet point thing would make it hard to talk about the bar I did actually enjoy going to that night. (Ha, somewhat loathe to blog right now at 12:27 A.M. on my second night of marathon cooking for the ramen party. Several future blog entries about this in the future. Maybe not until the end of next week?)
I noticed almost immediately that O&E has what I'll typically call my favorite beer Saison Dupont (Saison-style beer has been trending since I discovered the beer while visiting Jeeyun K. in Philly 5 years ago. Pretty Little Thing's Jack D'or is a pretty common find at least here in Boston and NYC). But I also noticed that they had another Brasserie Dupont beer that I've never tried, Moinette Brune. Mm, dark, fruity, and complex.
O&E's cocktail list was also a stunner and they had two takes on a Pimm's Cup (According to my new Brit friend Andy, they just call it Pimm's back home). Wound up choosing the Victorian over the O&E (Wow, they named one of their P.C.'s after themselves) because rose water and pink peppercorn sounded like a more interesting combination than strawberry and ginger. Though, hell, if I could easily go back I'd just as likely try the O&E. Afterwards, Teresa and Curtis tell me there are many bars in the city like this one.

Monday Night (2)
Originally Teresa and my plans were to see the Improv All-Stars show at the world-famous Second City. T was being lazy otherwise she probably wouldn't have attempted to drive and find parking in Old Town, an impossible feat. After picking up her friend Keom and driving around the neighborhood a few times, it was already 15 minutes past the show's 8:30 P.M. start time so we gave up.
Keom stopped drinking 7 years ago but used to spend much of his time drinking at the Matchbox, "Chicago's Most Intimate Bar." The bar is so narrow that it literally hurts to sit close enough to the bar just to allow enough space for people to pass behind you. The bartender said Keom's face still seemed familiar to her even though he hasn't been to any bar in years.
A cocktail was 2 drinks for the price of one since you're given the rest of the shaker to pour at your leisure. I forget what my first drink was, but later I had a "Perfect Manhattan" with Jim Beam rather than whatever brandy they typically make that version with.The drink comes with the Matchbox's "famous brandy-soaked cherries" and yes they were transcendent. Almost makes me wish I order the brandy Manhattan, but... YEAH FUCKING RIGHT.
Oh I remember what I had for my first drink, a Maple Leaf. I'll have to assume that perhaps this was a whiskey cocktail with maple syrup and lemon but I'm only guessing.

Tuesday Night (3)
Was killing time near what I presume is the River North area part of town. I wanted to wait at least a good 4 hours before chowing down at Hot Doug's and doing the same at the Frontera Grill (This was a huge food day but more on that later!). Hit up a couple bars in the area that seemed vaguely interesting through my NFT Chicago guide.
  • Chose English because I was enticed by Pimm's Cups and Earl-Grey Martinis. Didn't see the latter, but the P.C. was perfectly serviceable.
  • Went to the Green Door Tavern because apparently it's a Chicago institution that's been around since 1921. Had some Saison-style beer called Booyah.

Wednesday (4)
Got to O'Hare with a few moments to kill. I was still craving Rick Bayless' fantastic food even though I wasn't hungry at all so I got a side salad and damn that shit was smokey bliss too. But I also finally treated myself a Bayless cocktail.
The Deal-Breaker (Espolon Blanco, Patron Citronage, freshly squeezed lime) wasn't transcendent, but it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment